The most important phase in growing a trophy fish is in the hatchery, nursery, and juvenile stages. Growth lost early in life will never be recaptured. When fish are very young, they grow at incredible rates gaining 15% of their body weight every day. As they age, this growth rate per day slowly decreases, so gains in early life yield exponential growth rates up until the fortunate soul find the trophy fighting on the end of a line.
The importance of highly digestible, highly attractive, and highly nutritious diets cannot be overemphasized. Starter feeds are formulated to deliver the ultimate in digestible protein, balanced amino acid levels, key antioxidants, fortified micronutrient levels, and innovative palatability enhancers for finicky eaters. By concentrating on these essential building blocks of growth and health, fish are given a superior foundation on their quest to be the next trophy. Optimal starter feeds incorporate over a decade of dedicated research, and we could not be happier with the results, and we are confident you will too.
Optimal Starters come in a range of sizes to fit your needs.
• Starter #0 is a powder designed for the first feeding of tiny small fry. This line is useful for those who hatch their own fish.
• Starter #1 is a crumble line for fish that are too big for a powder yet still under half an inch.
• Starter #2 is a 1.5mm pellet and designed for fish in the 1-2″ range.
• Starter #3 is a 2mm pellet and designed for fish in the 2-3″ ranges.
• Starter #4 is a 2.5mm pellet and designed for fish in the 3-4” ranges.
Every species of fish has a slightly different mouth size and feeding challenges. The goal is to try to feed the largest pellet size your fish can eat.
For use in the first feeding of fish. To minimize impacts on water quality, feed as much food in ten minutes as fish will consume. Feeding at the same time every day is suggested. For more feeding information and tips, visit optimalfishfood.com/feeding-tips.